To determine your protein needs, we first need to determine your Total Calorie Needs. Use our Calorie Requirement Calculator to determine your Total Calorie Needs and enter that figure below to proceed.
Another way to calculate:
Another formula to calculate your protein needs is to multiply your body weight in pounds by the following factors listed below based on your category.
Pregnant - Extra 10 grams of protein per day
Breastfeeding Exerciser - Extra 20 grams of protein per day
To determine the amount of protein in food and to ensure you meet your protein needs, use the following as a guide:
- 8 grams of protein are found in 1 cup of milk or yogurt
- 8 grams of protein are found in 1 ounce of cheese
- 15 grams of protein are found in 1/2 cup of cottage cheese
- 8 grams of protein per half cup of cooked beans
- 8 grams of protein per 2 tablespoon of peanut better
- 8 grams of protein in 1/4 cup of almonds/peanuts/flax seeds/sunflower seeds
- 19 grams of protein in 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 7 grams of protein are found in 1 ounce of meat (chicken, fish, port, beef) & in one egg
- 3 grams of protein are found in 1/2 cup of pasta, rice, corn, beans or 1 slice of bread
- 10 grams of protein in 1/2 cup of Tofu